Come along and find out how you can assist your local community to reduce its plastic waste by starting your own Boomerang Bag group or joining other local groups and learn to make your own reusable shopping bags.
Boomerang Bags is a global, grassroots movement connecting and empowering local communities to tackle plastic pollution at its source. The Roleystone Boomerang Bag group is a great example of a committed group of volunteers banding together to assist their local community and reduce plastic waste by sewing reusable shopping bags that anyone can borrow at the local supermarket when they forget their own.
What to expect on the day:
- Lots of fun sharing information on Roleystones success in reducing its single use plastic bags by over 20 thousand single use plastic bags weekly at the local IGA alone in the first year.
- We will have work stations of each process to show you how best we worked the project and discuss the things that also did not work for us.
- We will have a hands on work station of each process and invite you to either watch or partake in making your own Boomerang bag.
- Local volunteers on hand to answer your questions or to show you hands on the ‘How to’s’.
- You will take home your very own ‘Roleystone Boomerang Bag’ to show as an example of keep for yourself.
- We will have the box made by the Menshed displayed for you to get ideas about included other community group to guide your success.
- How we sourced all the supplies needed to make the project so successful.
- How to engage with your community and empower them to help the project become a success.
- Q&A with everything to do with the project and its success.
- A shared lunch, tea and coffee supplied, or if you would like to bring something along to share, please do.
This workshop is funded by Switch your thinking and the Waste Authority through the Waste Avoidance and Resource Recovery Account and hosted by Roleystone Family Centre.