A hands on workshop for home-schoolers or people available during the day. You will be shown the starter technique of basket coiling that once you have mastered there really is not limit to the things you can make. Plenty of design ideas and projects will be discussed and you will leave inspired to create amazing works of functional art.
This workshop has been specifically designed for the quick learning skills home schooled children seem to have. Along with their parent or caregiver, they will be shown how to start a coiling basket and different weaving techniques they can use. They will also be encouraged to explore different styles, feel the fibres and what makes a good weaving fibre, what to look for when out and about and how to use garden and bush plants for weaving, plus learning how and why some things work in weaving and some things don’t.
• A parent or caregiver is required to stay with the enrolled child (we would prefer the child’s enrolments details please)
• Any age is acceptable if you feel they have the skill to hold grasses and weave with a needle (blunt)
• Babies are welcome with their parents/guardians, but all children weaving need to be enrolled.
• Although not compulsory as all materials are supplied we encourage the home-schoolers to collect a small bundle of dead/dried grasses or different varieties that we will discuss the suitability on the day. This is a great way for them to learn what works and what doesn’t.
• Please bring along a closed weave tote bag to take home your project/s in.
If you have scraps of fabric (old t-shirts or cottons) and wool and cottons, please bring them along also and we will show them how to continue at home.