Learn how to make fresh, soft and delicious Italian-style cheeses to share with your family and friends! Demonstrated step-by-step, discussed in detail and including notes, this course shows you the skills and shares the knowledge with you – so you can make your own mozzarella, ricotta and mascarpone at home with confidence. This course is going to be udderly brilliant! Bookings essential.
- Introduction to cheese-making
- The cheese-making process
- Types of Italian cheese and history
- DEMO: making mozzarella, ricotta and mascarpone step-by-step
- Cheese-making equipment
- Types of milk, water sources for cheese-making
- Cheese-making cultures, inoculating cheese and ripening milk
- Rennet – what is it and how to use it
- Cheese curds – cutting, draining and cooking
- Water bath and microwave method
- Using a cheese-making log book, curd cutting worksheet
- Using and making a cheese harp
- Cheesecloth and alternatives
- Whey is whey cool!
- Stretching and shaping mozzarella
- Making soft and firm mozzarella
- Discussing how to make bocconcini, string cheese, etc.
- Sustainable salt, and adding other flavours to cheese
- Setting cheese
- Brining mozzarella
- How to smoke mozzarella (and other cheeses)
- Vacuum sealing, storing cheese in the refrigerator or freezer
Megan Radaich is a lecturer from www.foodpreserving.org, a Western Australian community resource for home food preservation and green living. Megan’s community classes are lecture-style, with demonstrations and open discussion of techniques. Generous taste-testings are provided during the classes. Equipment and supplies are also available to buy (or order) at the classes to raise funds for class equipment and community events.